And in Other News….
(Photo from Yahoo)
Some recent news and my thoughts on it (as well as other things);
- "How Penalty Kill is Killing the Caps' Numbers", an interesting article from the people over at Japer’s Rink, talks about the Caps’ penalty kill woes. Apparently, the Capitals are in fact 6th in the NHL in the 5-on-5 goals against average, and their mid-level GAA is due to the penalty kill. I knew the kill was killing them, but, with a #1-ranking PK, the Capitals GAA would be as low as 2.47 goals against a game, and they would have a goals-against total of less than 200 goals…. for the entire season. Wow.
- Isn’t there something about there being less penalties in the playoffs? If so, the Caps are in luck…. you might actually see the defensive numbers go up!
- The Caps clinched the Presidents’ Trophy Sunday with a San Jose Sharks 5-4 OT loss to the Colorado Avalanche. The Trophy is awarded to the team with the best record at the end of the regular season.
- Some team reactions to winning the President’s Trophy…
- Forward Matt Bradley; "Do we each get it for a day in the summer?"
- Coach Bruce Boudreau; “I told [the players] this morning, 'Okay, you've won that thing, celebration's over, let's get on to something new.’"
- Owner Ted Leonsis (on the cash prize, which he was unaware of); "Did you know that $350k is awarded to the team and its players for winning the Presidents’ Trophy? Pizza for everyone?”
- Obviously, there is a mixture of “it was all part of the plan” and “wait…. they actually have a physical Presidents’ Trophy?”. Very good, really, nobody could care less. There’s bigger goals in mind, which is excellent for both the team and the fans.
- The Caps, incase you weren’t aware, have had by far the best season in franchise history…. let’s see….
- 14-game winning streak (3rd best all-time)
- Clinched 3rd-straight division title (1st ever for a SE team)
- Clinched top seed in east (1st ever for Caps)
- Clinched Presidents’ Trophy (1st ever for Caps)
- Most wins (52+, previous record was 50)
- Most points (116+, previous record was 108)
- Fewest regulation losses (15 w/3 games left, previous record was 23)
- And there are probably more….
- Also note; many Capitals players are having record years as well…
- Nicklas Backstrom
- Most points ever (95+)
- Most goals ever (31+)
- Mike Green
- Most points ever (74+)
- Most assists ever (55+)
- Alexander Ovechkin
- Most assists ever (58+)
- Alexander Semin
- Tied for most goals ever (38)
- Brooks Laich
- Most goals ever (25+)
- Most assists ever (33+)
- Most points ever (58+)
- Tomas Fleischmann
- Most goals ever (22+)
- Most assists ever (28+)
- Most points ever (50+)
- Eric Fehr
- Most goals ever (21+)
- Most assists ever (18+)
- Most points ever (39+)
- Also, almost every Caps player will set career +/- records.
That’s all I have right now…. enjoy tonight’s Caps/Pens game, and vote in the poll!
You can follow Musings of a Caps Fan on Twitter: @musings_scores