The Washington Capitals play the Pittsburgh Penguins, at home, today at 7:00 PM.
(Photo from Yahoo)
Today, the Caps and Pens face off for the third time this season, in what is possibly one of pro hockey’s biggest rivalries. A Capitals win tonight will allow them to clinch the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference, so they would play the #8 seed in the first round. Pittsburgh is currently the #4 seed in the East, and desperately needs these points so that they can keep up with the New Jersey Devils for the Atlantic Division lead, guaranteeing a 1-3 seed.
Also, we once again get to see the two biggest stars in the NHL, Alexander Ovechkin & Sidney Crosby, face off once more. Should this game even come close to being as exciting as the last time these two teams met (@ Verizon Center, in the middle of a blizzard, on Superbowl Sunday, live on NBC, and a 5-4 OT Caps win w/an Ovechkin hat trick!), you had better make sure your watching this game tonight.
However, being hockey, this matchup will likely depend on the not-quite-as-famous players. Here’s some things to watch tonight….
|- Brooks Laich is missing his first game in about 3 seasons; he took at puck to the face yesterday in practice and will not play until Sunday. |
- Evgeni Malkin is out for Pittsburgh, likely with his bruised foot.
- Jose Theodore is in net again tonight; expect, or hope, for him to continue his other-worldly recent play.
- Check this out; since January 13th, when the Caps lost 7-4 to Tampa Bay, Jose Theodore has gone 16-0-2/2.40/.927 ; 16 wins gets you a Stanley Cup, and I’m sure a 2.4 goals-against average and a .927 average save percentage are good enough for a Stanley Cup. For the entire season, those numbers would put Theodore at #8 for goals-against average and #4 for save percentage…. keep it up Jose Theodore!
- Ovechkin and Crosby are still tied for the goal-scoring lead.
- Mike Knuble hasn’t scored in a bit…. could tonight be a breakout game?
That’s all for now, tune in a 7:00 for the game! Enjoy!