(Photo from Yahoo)The 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs inch ever closer, and teams are trying to get into good positions to make a long run in the playoffs..... the countdown begins, only 17 days until the excitement begins!
- The Calgary Flames burned the Washington Capitals with a four goal first period, winning 5-3. Jose Theodore was pulled by the Caps, and Ovechkin had his 46th goal of the season, as well as his 100th point. Nicklas Backstrom had his 90th point.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets once again beat the Chicago Blackhawks, 4-2. I think that its almost time to start worrying in Chicago.
- The San Jose Sharks beat the Colorado Avalanche, 4-3. Avalanche struggling to keep the 8th seed in the Western Conference
- The Philadelphia Flyers destroyed the New Jersey Devils, 5-1, allowing the Washington Capitals to clinch the top seed in the Eastern Conference. Ilya Kovalchuk scored for NJ, preventing a shutout.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins needed the shootout to beat the Toronto Maple Leafs, 5-4. Sidney Crosby had his 46th and 47th goals of the season.
- The St. Louis Blues beat the Edmonton Oilers, 2-1.
In other news......
- The following teams have clinched a playoff spot so far...... Eastern Conference: New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Washington. Western Conference: San Jose, Chicago, and Phoenix.
- Both Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin scored today, but Crosby took the NHL goals lead again with 47 goals.
- Because Semyon Varlamov allowed a goal after Jose Theodore was pulled, Theo did not get credited with the loss, keeping his streak without a regulation loss alive.
Follow Musings of a Caps Fan on Twitter: @musings_scores