(Photo from ESPN)
A quick comment on the photo. The guy wearing orange is the goalie…. and he’s way up in the air. The guy in white is actually a forward. Wow.
|- The Capitals lost to the Hurricanes, 3-2 in the shootout. |
- The Chicago Blackhawks got destroyed by the Columbus Blue Jackets. Chicago goalie Christobal Huet was pulled toward the end of the 2nd, but played the entire 3rd period.
- The San Jose Sharks beat the Dallas Stars, 3-0, Evgeni Nabokov with the shut out.
- The New York Rangers beat the New Jersey Devils, 4-3 in the shootout.
- The New York Islanders shocked the Calgary Flames, and beat them 3-2.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Boston Bruins, 5-3.
- The Minnesota Wild beat the Philadelphia Flyers, 4-3 in OT.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Atlanta Thrashers, 2-1 in OT.
- The Montreal Canadiens beat the Florida Panthers, 4-1.
- The St. Louis Blues beat the Los Angeles Kings, 3-1.
- Finally, the Nashville Predators got by the Phoenix Coyotes, 4-3 in the shootout.
|- The Ottawa Senators, for the 9th straight time, beat the Buffalo Sabres, 4-2. |
- The Detroit Red Wings beat the Minnesota Wild, 6-2. Johan Frazen had a 4 point night.
- The Anaheim Ducks beat the Edmonton Oilers, 3-2.
In other news….
|- Chicago clinched a playoff spot Thursday. |
- San Jose also clinched a playoff spot the same day.
- New Jersey remains the only team other than the Caps that could win the east; should they loose tonight to Montreal the Caps clinch the east.
- A Caps win Sunday would also allow them to clinch the east.
- In Thursday’s game, Chicago goalie Christobal Huet had a .741 save percentage. Huet is being paid 5.625 million dollars this season.
- Columbus joins Edmonton on the list of teams that cannot make the playoffs.
- The Detroit Red Wings are really, really getting hot; I send my best wishes to the Western Conference teams that will have to play them in the post season. Expect upsets.
- Vancouver Canucks player, Henrik Sedin, passed Ovechkin in the total points lead; he has 99 to Ovie’s 98.
- Finally, Lightning player Steven Stamkos scored his 45th goal of the season Thursday, tying the goal-scoring lead with Ovechkin and Crosby.