(Photo from Yahoo)
As promised, Around the Rink is back today! I’m sorry for my lack of time yesterday, but, you know how it is. Anyway…
(3/16/10) Tuesday’s Scores:
|- The Alexander Ovechkin-less Washington Capitals defeated the Florida Panthers, 7-3. Ovechkin was serving the first game of his 2-game suspension. Czech Olympic goalie Tomas Vokoun was pulled by the Panthers. |
- The Dallas Stars shocked the San Jose Sharks and beat them, 8-2. Russian Olympic goalie Evgeni Nabokov was pulled by the Sharks, and his backup, German Olympic goalie Thomas Greiss wasn’t very good either. Meanwhile, Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen stopped an amazing 45 of 47 shots.
- The New York Islanders beat the Vancouver Canucks, 5-2. Canadian Olympic goalie Roberto Luongo was pulled by the Canucks.
- The Atlanta Thrashers beat the Buffalo Sabres, 4-3. USA Olympic goalie Ryan Miller was pulled by the Sabres.
- The Boston Bruins beat the Carolina Hurricanes, 5-2.
- The Montreal Canadiens beat the NY Rangers, 3-1.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs stunned Ottawa, they won 4-1.
- The Phoenix Coyotes beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1.
- The Nashville Predators needed the shootout to beat the Philadelphia Flyers, 4-3.
- The Minnesota Wild beat the Edmonton Oilers, 4-2.
- The Colorado Avalanche beat the St. Louis Blues, 5-3.
Overall, Tuesday was not a good day for Olympic goalies, as the Russian, Canadian, American, and Czech Olympic goalies were all pulled, and German Olympic goalie Thomas Greiss, playing backup for San Jose, didn’t exactly sparkle either.
(3/17/10) Wednesday’s Scores:
|- The New Jersey Devils beat the Pittsburgh Penguins, 5-2. The Devils have won all 6 games against the Penguins this year. |
- The Calgary Flames beat the Colorado Avalanche, 3-2. Calgary avoided a season series sweep by Colorado.
- The Chicago Blackhawks lost to the Anaheim Ducks, 4-2. This is Chicago’s third loss in a row; on Wednesday they lost top-4 defenseman Brent Seabrook to an upper body injury caused by a dirty hit during the game. Seabrook joins Brian Cambell, another top-4 defenseman for Chicago, on the injured reserve.
In Other News….
|- Alexander Ovechkin served his first game of his 2 game suspension Tuesday, the final game of the suspension is the Carolina game today. |
- Tampa Bay player Steve Downie was fined a (insert sarcasm) whopping $1000 for his very dirty hit on Sidney Crosby during Sunday’s game.
- Chicago lost defenseman Brent Seabrook to injury, he joins Brian Cambell. This is not good for Chicago, as the team has started to fall back in the points. Cambell is out for 7-8 weeks, and losing Seabrook for any more than a game or two is a devastating loss for the Hawks.
- You might as well give the Washington Capitals the President’s Trophy right now; they have a 7 point lead over San Jose with one more game played, and a 9 point lead over Chicago with one more game played. Not only do they have the easiest schedule going forward; Chicago and San Jose haven’t exactly been doing well recently.
Anyway….. remember to read my PreCAP of tonight’s game, once I write it.